Saturday, July 17, 2010

Thoughts in Rome

Judgement and comparison occupies the mind constantly. You can't avoid the sense of discomfort due to the lack of history we in Australia have. Walking through the Roman streets and seeing monuments of which have existed since before Jesus absolutely baffles me. It's as though I'm ashamed our history only dates a few hundred years. Or is it that we haven't exposed nor celebrated the original inhabitants of Australia. Thanks Kevin for apologising for the ill treatment and thank you Bankstown for supplying a terrible stereotype of the Aboriginal people to modern society.

They deserve greater right and respect. It is their land and their stories which should be more publicly displayed. Their history has not shaped nor influenced our culture. We as white westerners do not accurately represent the true Terra Australis Incognita. It's as though their past has been put aside and not widely explored. We need to take time to look at who we are and where we originate. (I, of coarse am the worst offender, I didn't listen to Miss Mac in yr 10, I don't even think I had a history book) I promise I will.

On the contrary it is nice to be apart of a young country, we are creating Australia's history.
Our motherland has a true gift, it's a country of the present.

Photobucket
Me, Olivia, Bronte, Camilla & Imogen at the Pantheon

Photobucket
Ultimate tourists, Bronte & I, map and a gelato in hand!