Saturday, July 17, 2010

Technical Difficulties

The purpose of a camera is to capture a moment so we can at a later date recount the times passed. A camera however does not capture the sentiment of surrounding energy. It is in some way insufficient in preserving memories. Of course one can look at a photo and remember the experience yet the person seeing the photo for the first time sees it narrowly. Only what is displayed exposes the time past not the positivity, stress, adoration or hardship felt.

A traveler's closest companion is his/her camera. Gripped tightly in the dominant hand or hanging close to ones heart, it has its own set of eyes in which it deposits experiences into its memory bank. It goes all over the world with you, it isn't until this friend decides it has had enough of your frequent prodding and ceases to fulfil what a true friend should. Be there when needed.

In my case, this occurred the day I arrived in one of the most photogenic cities, Rome. Perfect timing! So unfortunately I will have no assistance in recounting the beautiful images my mind was treated.

When one "sight sees", they go somewhere with the intension of taking a photo. Without a camera you feel as though you should be completing something. It's an awkward feeling of not fulfilling a traveler's job. Not to mention the inability of conforming to the usual self portrait amongst the other 2,000 people attempting to photograph both your head and the Fontana de Trevi. As ridiculous as it sounds it really feels as though my job here is not done. Even though I walked through the Vatican city on a guided tour, cheered on the World Cup final in the Piazza Novona, met friends on the Spanish stairs, peered into the Colosseum, gazed up the centre sunlight of the Pantheon, walked along the Via del Corso with my inherited expensive taste louring me into the designer stores, and respected the silence in some of the most beautiful churches. I believe I will again gear myself for a good walk around the Roman streets and stand in ore at the size of every column and statue at some point in the future.